Sunday, July 26, 2009

Firyuza - Firyuza (1979)

I once joked that if it was from Turkmenistan, it had to be good. Of course I was talking about the Gunesh Ensemble, and didn’t realize there was a second group from the same place and time. Three long tracks adorn this one of a kind album. Seven piece group with guitar, sax, flute, keys, violin, bass, drums and percussion. While not as hot or as entirely unique as the almighty Gunesh, this is still a fascinating fusion, one that relects the unique culture of the Turkmens. I’m constantly amazed at some of the subversive sounds coming from the old Soviet Union. I’m surprised Boheme Music of Russian didn’t reissue this with all the other great ex-Soviet albums formerly on Melodia. Cool cover featuring the band, with instruments in hand, proudly wearing their traditional telpeks (tall fur hats).


CD REISSUE WISHLIST

Rate Your Music

Link

1 comment:

Mike F. said...

Just out of curiosity (especially as you make them sound like a band I would really love to hear) are Gunesh Ensemble anywhere on this site (if so I cannot find them.

Thanks.